Run the Edge 2015

Sunday, January 4, 2015

     Ahhhhh a new year.  Hello 2015!  It brings hundreds of possibilities.  I'm just giddy with excitement...which goal to accomplish first?  How do I start?  How many can I start?

     In reality I have always dreaded the new year and all that is associated with it.  Why must we have one day so much more important over any other day and then add resolutions on top of it...why?  Isn't every day important to live to the fullest?  Or to do your best?

     I have always said that we are too hard on ourselves and need to allow ourselves a "do over".  This has taken me years to fully let it soak in my psyche.  I have been on this journey for a few years to build myself back up.  It wasn't any one person's fault.  Life just happens.  The most important thing I have learned over the years is to love myself and allow "do overs"!  I had many and it's ok.

     I've had many challenges over these past 4 years.  I've lost 3 of my 4 parents, a brother-in-law and a grandfather.  I've gotten a divorce.  Moved 1,000 miles away from my 2 beautiful kids back to my home state of Kentucky.  I've had running injuries.  Changed my eating habits like you wouldn't believe!  Started a new job. 

     There are so many changes that when I sit back and look them over, I get overwhelmed.  I can also look them over and be very proud of who I have become through these challenges.  I am the strongest I have ever been, both mentally and physically.  I am happy with myself for the first time ever!  Now days I smile more than I cry.  This is good!

     It is no surprise that I am now looking about picking back up my bucket list of running 50 half marathons in 50 states.  Even if I don't run these half marathons, I am running and that is very important to me.  I love running!  It gives me the sense of accomplishment, well most days.  As I said, I'm learning to be "ok" with bad running days.  It sucks but I deal with them so much better than I did when I first started running.

     I have signed up for my first half marathon this year.  It's in 18 weeks.  Yep, enough time to get this old girl back into shape!  I have decided to take the Jeff Galloway approach which I think well work AWESOME!  Since my injuries and getting a few years older (in reality, I just haven't been constant with the running) it's just a little harder to run constant for 13.1 miles.  Maybe once I get into the training I can "think" about running it the whole way.  Honestly though, my psyche is  just fine with the run/walk of Jeff Galloway.  

     Now that my kids are back in their home state I can really focus on the training.  I get to ease myself back into running by having the ability to do the first week twice.  Yay me!  I can also work myself into the cold weather, however I've been doing that with work.  Working as a postal worker sure has helped me get back into shape too.  I walk many miles a day!  With that being said, it helped me go ahead and make the decision to go for the 2015 miles in 2015 challenge!  Oh yeah, call me crazy!

     I'll keep you informed of all that goes on in my training.  I also have to log my miles in order to keep record for this challenge.  I believe I will use my fitbit or my iPhone 6 Health app for most of my miles.  When I do my training runs I will use my Jeff Galloway app to track my miles.   Oh the excitement is rising as I type these words.  I am ready!  Are you?         

No comments:

Post a Comment